Football News

Torres purchase not the end for Drogba, says football manager Ancelotti

18th April 2011 - Alma Shera

Didier Drogba will still be playing for Chelsea next season, according to the club's football manager Carlo Ancelotti.

The 33-year-old Ivorian is no longer an automatic first choice for selection, following the arrival of £50 million forward Fernando Torres.

Drogba and Torres have so far failed to establish a meaningful partnership, but football manager Ancelotti is insistent that Torres playing does not mean Drogba has to leave the club.

"Torres was bought as he is a fantastic striker, young, but this doesn't mean Didier has to go," he said.

"He has been a very important player for the club in the past, and he will be for the club in the future."

Drogba opened the scoring against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday (April 15th), leading his side to a 3-1 victory.

Those three points leave Chelsea in third position in the Premier League, with a five-point cushion over Manchester City and a gap of just two points to Arsenal in second.
 

More stories

Balotelli substituted early during friendly

25th July 2011 - Berko Tau

Balotelli substituted early during friendly

Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli was substituted early in one of the club's recent friendly football games. The Italian was replaced against LA Galaxy after deciding to drag the ...   Read on

Mancini hopes to finalise Aguero deal

25th July 2011 - Chad Lazarus

Mancini hopes to finalise Aguero deal

Manchester City football manager Roberto Mancini is hoping to conclude a deal for Atletico Madrid striker Sergio Aguero this week. The Premier League club are in negotiations with Atletico regarding ...   Read on

Uruguay triumph at Copa America

25th July 2011 - Alma Shera

Uruguay triumph at Copa America

Diego Forlan helped Uruguay to victory in the Copa America final yesterday (July 24th), with Livepool's Luis Suarez also registering on the score sheet. Suarez scored the opener in ...   Read on

Rooney: Liverpool will be a threat this season

25th July 2011 - Sigvard Magnus

Rooney: Liverpool will be a threat this season

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has admitted that Liverpool will pose a significant threat in football games over the next season. The 25-year-old said the club has made some excellent ...   Read on